As a digital marketer and content marketing connoisseur it's often frustrated me that the templates for content marketing questionnaires and checklists are often too detailed or not detailed enough. As a content marketer I don't really need to know your favorite time of the day but I do want to know about your business' personality.
After much toil and tribulation (re: solid time on Google) I've come up with a checklist that I think is pretty comprehensive without being TOO comprehensive (if you need to know your client’s astrological sign you can always add it in there…).
Whether you're a content marketing novice or a die-hard content marketing expert everyone needs a go-to document to get what they need. I hope this document can do that for you!
Content Marketing Questionnaire
Products and Services
What products and services are most wanted/needed by prospects?
What does your product or service help your clients achieve?
Are there any products or services that you want to highlight?
Are there any products or services that are about to be launched?
Do you have any products or services that you’d like phase out?
Do you have any products or services that need more attention than others?
Do you have any client testimonials about your products/services?
If you don’t have any testimonials, do you know of any clients that would be willing to give some?
What type of content is on your wish list for your products and services (re: one sheets, video content, e-book, white paper, etc.)?
Describe your typical customer (needs, desires, preferences, fears, pains, etc.).
Describe your ideal customer (needs, desires, preferences, fears, pains, etc.).
How do prospects find you?
What are the central keywords that prospects might use to find you online? (I.e., what words would your target audience use to describe the key products/services/information you provide?)
What is your target location (international/national/regional/state/local)?
If your website is a business-to business site, what sort of companies are you hoping to attract?
What are some lead generation tactics that you’ve tried in the past? What has worked and what hasn’t worked?
How important is lead generation to you current/future marketing strategy?
How are you currently tracking your clients and prospects?
What metrics do you use to help you track success with your clients and prospects?
What are the core strengths of your organization?
Do you have a tagline or a slogan? If not, would you like one?
What sets your company apart from others in your industry?
What is your company’s mission statement, vision, philosophy, etc.?
Please list the name of between 3 and 5 other websites that you like. Why are they attractive to you?
What’s your idea of a perfect piece of Web content?
What is your current content focus?
What is your biggest marketing fear?
What do you dislike most about your website’s appearance?
What jargon are you guilty of using most?
What brands have a look/voice that you like?
What part of your branding do you wish you could improve?
What is your marketing pet peeve?
What are words/phrases that should NOT appear in your content?
What are words/phrases that you think should appear more in your content?
What is your marketing motto?
- Who is your competition? (please list at least 3-5 competitors)
- Why do you believe site visitors should do business with you rather than with a competitor? Why do your customers choose you and not someone else?
- What is an advantage your competitors have over you?
- What is an advantage you have over your competitors?
- Is there something your competitors have done that you wish you had done?
- Is there anything that your competitors do that you love?
- Is there anything that your competitors do that you hate?
- We use AP style to write and copy edit our content—do you prefer any other style?
- What are your content voice preferences? 1st person? 3rd person? Please specify.
- We use images in our blog content—do you have a style that you like? What don’t you like?
- How do you prefer your content to be delivered: one piece at a time or in batches?
- Do you have a format you prefer for delivery (word doc, Google doc, etc.)?
- How important is keyword optimization to you in your website/blog content?
- How often do you optimize your on-site and blog content?
- Have you ever done any SEO work on your on-site or blog content?
- Is there any other content style preference that you have that we need to keep in mind?
- Does your organization have an religious/philosophical aspects that we should address in your content?
Did I miss anything? Be sure to leave a comment to let me know what you'd add to the list.